Lavender Country and Folk Dancers (LCFD) is an umbrella organization forming a loosely knit group of gender-free dance clubs. (Sometimes the expression is "gender neutral," "gender role free," or "role optional"). We currently encompass several dance traditions and welcome the opportunity to include more.
LCFD is governed by a Board of Directors who are elected by its members. See the Bylaws (PDF 57KB). LCFD is an affiliate of the Country Dance and Song Society (CDSS) and obtains its 501(c)(3) tax exempt status from that relationship.
The mission of LCFD is essentially:
- Organize and run dance camps, which are multiple-day events usually occurring at a rustic site.
- Promote and support gender-free traditional dancing (contra, square, English country, and folk) primarily, but not exclusively, for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and queer dancers and friends.
- Promote and support dance leaders, musicians, organizations, and others who support gender-free dancing, whenever possible.
- LCFD is a non-profit organization which will occasionally raise money for the purpose of supporting LCFD activities. (For example, we've run a very popular food booth for years now at NEFFA.)
LCFD flourishes through the work of a large number of volunteers. LCFD runs the twice-a-year East Coast dance camps (largely the work of the Camp Committee). LCFD works with local gender-free dance groups that are affiliated with it, helping with organization and outreach. There is a Lavender Dance Legacy Committee that is working to help the dance community and organization continue and grow.
LCFD enthusiastically welcomes other local gender-free dance groups, and other groups that want to run gender-free dance camps. Affiliation with LCFD lets us provide web site access, liability insurance, general assistance, and the possibility of various forms of financial assistance.
Currently there are affiliated contra dance groups in Jamaica Plain MA, Montague MA, New York NY, Atlanta GA, and the San Francisco Bay Area; English country dancing in Jamaica Plain, MA and Atlanta, GA. The SFBA group runs the West Coast dance camp.
LCFD Mailing List
- general: lcfd AT lcfd.org
- dance camp: camp AT lcfd.org
- board of directors: board AT lcfd.org
- treasurer: treasurer AT lcfd.org
- snail mail: LCFD 9 West St Cambridge, MA 02139
Board members: Andy Shore, Chris Ricciotti, Hanni Beyer Lee, Jim Babcock (co-chair), John Gintell (treasurer), Judy Hawkins (co-chair), Lisa Lunt, Mark Galipeau, Mike Miller, Read Weaver, Robin Fox.
Camp Committee: Jim Babcock (publicity creator/programmer), Chris Ricciotti (Queen Mum, Den Collins (fall registrar), Sam Arfer (food coordinator), John Gintell (treasurer), Judy Hawkins (work exchange coordinator), Hanni Beyer Lee (on-site coordinator), TBD (sound), Lisa Lackey (spring registrar).
Lavender Dance Legacy Committee: Dean Allemang, John Gintell, Jim Babcock, Liz Augustine.
Other Activities: Bob Peterson (Webmaster emeritus, database guru emeritus), Chris Ricciotti (Queen Mum), John Gintell (Webmaster, database guru).
This page is managed by John Gintell